Have you ever seen a reborn baby doll? They are dolls that look like real babies and are created/ bought by women and treated like real babies. Dressed up, taken for walks in the park, have birthday parties, given a car seat of their own and so on. I’m sure not every woman who keeps a reborn doll is going as far as taking them out in public. But, it’s those who do who have stirred up controversy or at least gotten people talking.
If you had always wanted a baby but didn’t have one (or had lost one) would you consider a reborn doll? On the plus side the doll won’t need diaper changes, it won’t wake up for a midnight feeding, no squirming around while you dress the doll up, and it won’t ever grow up and become a teenager (if you count that as a good thing).
I have my own Raggedy Ann rag doll, made by my Mother when I was a kid. I still dress up Raggedy Ann a few times. I like to keep her around, give her a spot in my bedroom where she can see and be seen. But that’s where she stays. I don’t take her to bed with me – even when I was a kid I wasn’t bringing dolls into bed with me. It is nice to keep her though. I do like giving her something new to wear. It’s pretty easy, and cheap enough, to find second hand clothes at the thrift shop. Just about anything in the baby sizes will fit her. But, she does have a thick neck for the length of her body. Of course, she’s all doll, not a baby (reborn) doll.
Is is weird for a grown woman to keep dolls? In general I would say no. It could be a bit much if the dolls are taking over, like an obsession. However, anything which becomes an obsession isn’t good.
Are the reborn dolls creepy? I’ve looked at lots of photos of reborn dolls since deciding to write about them. Some are a bit creepy, the skin is a bit too real – like a baby just born, still on the purple/ blue side. A bit too much reality, especially when they only look like that such a short time. Some of the dolls have really adorable faces, cute and soft, a very romantic version of a baby. No doubt there must be some percentage of people who will find that creepy. I don’t.
In the end it is up to the beholder. Would you make a reborn doll? The process is interesting. The designing of the clothes is fun, if you want to make them yourself.
- Flickr: Reborn Dolls and Clothing
- Flickr: Reborn Doll Artists
- Flickr: Reborn Babies
- Flickr: My Sweet Doll Child
- Flickr: Baby Dolls
- Flickr: Adorable Baby Dolls
- Pinterest: Reborn Babies
- Pinterest: Doll Collecting and Reborn Baby Dolls
- How to Make Reborns – eHow
- How to Make a Reborn Baby Doll – eHow
- How to Paint Reborn Dolls – eHow
- How to Make a Reborn Fairy Baby Doll – eHow
- How to Reborn a Doll – WikiHow
- How to Care for Triplet Baby Dolls – WikiHow
- Wikipedia – Reborn Doll
- Lifelike Baby Dolls the New Trend for Childless British Women
- Bogus Baby Boom: Women who Collect Likelike Dolls
- Mom Buys Realistic Baby Doll, Treats it Like a Baby
- The Creepy, Creepy World of Reborn Baby Dolls
- Are the women who buy these spookily realistic baby dolls normal?